Your Marital Status May Affect Your Taxes and Benefits

  • changing martial status can affect your benefits and income tax

Did you recently get married or enter into a common-law partnership? Did you separate or divorce? Were you recently widowed? It is important to inform the CRA about changes in your marital status to make sure you receive the right amount in benefit and credit payments. When your marital status changes, your benefit and credit payments are directly impacted. The CRA will recalculate your benefits and credits based on:

  • your updated family net income
  • the number of children you have in your care and their ages
  • the province or territory in which you live

Your benefit payments will be adjusted the month after the month your marital status changes.

How do you tell the CRA that your marital status has changed?

You can tell the CRA about your new marital status and the date of the change by using one of the four options:

  • use the Change my marital status service found in My Account
  • select Marital status in the MyBenefits CRA or MyCRA mobile apps
  • call 1-800-387-1193 if you are a benefit recipient
  • send us a completed Form RC65, Marital Status Change

When do you have to tell the CRA?

If you recently got married, divorced, became widowed, or entered into a common-law partnership, you must tell the CRA about the change in marital status by the end of the month after the month your status changed. For example, if your status changes in March, you must tell the CRA by the end of April.

If you have become separated, do not notify us until you have been separated for at least 90 days

What if you changed your name?

If you changed your name, let the CRA know as soon as possible. Call us at 1-800-959-8281, so we can update our records.

Completing a tax return

When completing your tax return, tick the box that applied to your marital status as of the end of the year, and if applicable, provide the requested information about your spouse or common-law partner. You still have a spouse or common-law partner if you were living apart for reasons other than a breakdown in your relationship.

If you would like more information on how your changing marital status may affect your income tax credits and benefits, feel free to contact GB Pilley & Associates Ltd., Chartered Professional Accountants at 604 926 3522.

Contact Us

Do you have questions about this article?

GB Pilley & Associates Ltd. can assist you with that.
Contact Us