What Are The Best Ways To Resolve Your Tax Issues

  • cra, adjustments, objection, tax, taxes, personal taxes, corporate taxes, gst returns, canada revenue agency
Sometimes you might disagree with your tax assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). It may be because you think it’s wrong, you noticed information is missing, or you were assessed by the CRA because you didn’t respond to a notice to complete a tax return.

Often, the easiest way to resolve an issue is to request a change to your tax return. If you did not file a tax return and were assessed by the CRA, the easiest way to correct any errors is to file your return. Filing your return or requesting a change to a return that you have already filed is a quick and easy way to fix mistakes or include new information for the CRA to consider. This ensures you don’t miss out on any credits or benefits you may be eligible for. If you’ve tried to resolve your issue and still aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you might need to formally object to your assessment.

Choosing the right course of action helps to ensure your issue gets resolved quicker, saving you time and money. Not sure where to start? These guidelines can help you find the best solution for your situation:

When to request a change to your returnWhen to file a notice of objection
  • you made a mistake on your return
  • you have already tried resolving your issue with the CRA and provided all relevant information
  • you forgot to include information for a tax deduction, credit, or benefit you’re trying to claim
  • you think that the CRA has misrepresented the facts or applied the law incorrectly
  • you found a missing or new receipt, information slip (like a T4), or other supporting documents
  • you want a fair and impartial review of your tax assessment

Changing your return

To request a change or adjustment to your return, you must have filed a tax return and received an assessment from the CRA.

If you need to file an objection

If you think that the CRA has misinterpreted the facts or applied the law incorrectly even after working with them to provide all relevant documentation, you can file a notice of objection. The deadline to file an objection to an income tax (re) assessment or (re)determination is whichever of the two dates is later: one year after the tax filing deadline, or 90 days from the date of your Notice of (re)assessment or (re)determination. The deadline to file an objection to a T2 corporation income tax or GST/HST (re)assessment is 90 days after your notice was sent.

The processing time to resolve objections depends on their level of complexity, and how quickly you provide all supporting documentation. Providing all relevant information to the CRA as soon as possible will help to ensure that your objection is processed in a timely manner.

If you would like more information or if you would like some help filing adjustments or objections for your personal, your corporate or your GST returns, contact GB Pilley & Associates Ltd., Chartered Professional Accountants at 604 926 3522.

Contact Us

Do you have questions about this article?

GB Pilley & Associates Ltd. can assist you with that.
Contact Us