Missing or Have an Uncashed Cheque from the CRA? What You Need to Know.

  • cra, money, cheque, uncashed, tax, income tax
There are many reasons Canadians may be missing a cheque, or have not cashed their cheque from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For example, people might have moved and not updated their address, the recipient might have died or believed the payment was issued to them in error, or the cheque might have been lost, stolen.

What to do:

If you have an uncashed cheque

Cash your cheque as soon as possible, no need to worry if you have an old one. Government of Canada cheques don’t expire and can be cashed at any time, free of charge.

If you have a cheque for someone who has died

Give the cheque to the person managing the tax affairs of the deceased person, or return it to the CRA. If you are managing the tax affairs of a deceased person, deposit the cheque into the estate account and complete their final tax return.

If you need a replacement cheque

If your CRA cheque was lost, destroyed, stolen, or is missing, contact the CRA to request a replacement. The CRA will do a verification, which may include sending forms for you to fill out. A replacement cheque will be issued, if warranted.

Avoid future refund and benefit payment delays

  • Sign up for direct deposit to receive your tax refund and benefit payments directly in your bank account—it’s fast, easy, and secure.
  • Don’t forget to update your account information for direct deposit when you change financial institutions or bank accounts.
  • Make sure you give the CRA your new contact information when you change your address so that you get your tax and benefit correspondence.

If you would like more information on various programs, deductions and credits that can help you and your family, contact GB Pilley & Associates Ltd., Chartered Professional Accountants at 604 926 3522.


Contact Us

Do you have questions about this article?

GB Pilley & Associates Ltd. can assist you with that.
Contact Us