Amounts That Are Not Taxable

  • tax, tax free, gst, ccb, canada child benefit, lottery, gifts, inheritance, tfsa, scholarship

You do not have to report certain amounts in your income, including the following:

  • any GST/HST credit, Canada Child Benefit, or Canada child tax benefit payments, including those from related provincial and territorial programs;
  • compensation received from a province or territory if you were a victim of a criminal act or a motor vehicle accident;
  • most lottery winnings;
  • most gifts and inheritances;
  • amounts paid by Canada or an ally (if the amount is not taxable in that country) for disability or death due to war service;
  • most amounts received from a life insurance policy following someone’s death;
  • most payments of the type commonly referred to as strike pay you received from your union, even if you perform picketing duties as a requirement of membership;
  • most amounts received from a Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA). For more information.
  • Elementary and secondary school scholarships and bursaries; and
  • Post-secondary school scholarships, fellowships, and bursaries are not taxable if you received them in 2016 for your enrolment in a program that entitles you to claim the full-time education amount in 2015 or 2016, or if you will be considered a full-time qualifying student for 2017.Note
    Income earned on any of the above amounts (such as interest you earn when you invest lottery winnings) is taxable.

If you would like more information about what is taxable and what amounts are not, or if you would like information on benefit programs, credits and deductions that can help you and your family, contact GB Pilley & Associates Ltd., Chartered Professional Accountants at 604 926 3522.

Contact Us

Do you have questions about this article?

GB Pilley & Associates Ltd. can assist you with that.
Contact Us